What Is Wind Mitigation?
Wind mitigation is an inspection that can help reduce the cost of your homeowners insurance. Florida Statue 627.0629 states that, “a rate filing for residential property insurance must include actuarially reasonable discounts, credits, or other rate differentials, or appropriate reductions in deductibles, for properties on which fixtures or construction techniques demonstrated to reduce the amount of loss in a windstorm have been installed or implemented.”
The statue essentially created a law that allows homeowners to receive a discount on their insurance policy if certain criteria are met. Their home must be examined by a certified home wind inspector in order to qualify for the discounts. Gulf Coast Educators Insurance offers information on what wind mitigation features should be on a home to maximize savings.
Wind mitigation features that can help lower the cost of your homeowners insurance include:
- A wind resistant roof covering if installed after March 1, 2002
- “Roof shape”. The geometry of the roof. Is it a flat roof? A hip roof? Is it a gable roof? If so, is it properly built or braced?
- Roof deck attachment. How is the roof deck attached to the framing compared to the thickness of the deck? What type of roof coverings are used? Do the coverings meet the standards of the FBC? Has the roof deck been installed with large nails and close spacing? Are hurricane clips or straps holding the roof to the wall?
- Is there a secondary water barrier? This is where an additional barrier is between the home and the roof
- Roof to wall connection attachment
- Opening protection. This concerns glass doors and windows. Impact-resistant glass should be used on glass doors and windows in order to minimize breakage. Shutters, garage doors, and sky lights are also included in this category
Gulf Coast Educators Insurance encourages you to get a wind mitigation inspection. A wind mitigation inspection can help save you money on your insurance. You do not need to have every wind mitigation featured above in order to save money. Each feature qualifies for a different discount. To find out more about wind mitigation and how it can save you money, please contact Gulf Coast Educators Insurance.
Gulf Coast Educators Insurance has three locations in Southwest Florida. You can reach our Naples office at 239-591-0963. To contact our Port Charlotte office, please call 941-391-5423. Our Ft. Myers insurance location can be reached at 239-931-5316.
Our knowledgeable insurance agents can help you review your wind mitigation inspection and determine what wind mitigation discounts you are eligible to receive. The monetary incentives are here to help motivate you to make your home safer during a high wind event such as a hurricane. Don’t wait until hurricane season is here. Get a wind mitigation inspection done and see how you can save on your homeowner’s insurance policy. Please call us today at any of our three Southwest Florida offices to get started saving money.