Florida has been his with a lot of rain this Summer it’s no wonder we are all not drifting away! With rain comes leaks. Whether it be the roof of your home, your pump house, garage, outbuilding or car, leaking roofs can mean for a serious uphill battle against moisture and mold.
Thanks to our tropical weather it’s challenging for things to totally dry out. The humidity just keeps the air damp and can be a breeding ground for mold. Yes mold! Here is a quick list of things to notice in your home or on your property that could be an indication your have a leak:
1) water spots on your ceiling
2) the smell of must when you walk into your home
3) rotten wood on the underside of your roofing materials (i.e. shingles)
4) a dip in your roof line
5) a fuzzy appearance anywhere on your wall – this could be mold
6) if you have cracks in your home’s stucco you may have water seeping into your home. You will want to consult with a repair man but you may consider caulking those cracks
7) if you have shingle damage from hail or have had shingles lifted from driving rain you may consider getting a roofer out to inspect for damage
8) if you have cracked roofing tile or missing tile(s) you may have damage underneath
9) in your vehicle if you notice a damp smell or musty smell you may have a leak in your car roof somewhere or maybe a seal around the doors, you may consider having this checked out
Many people will use Damp-Rid to pull the moisture up but long term this won’t repair the problem. We recommend homeowners and car owners call their insurance company to let them know of possible damage. Once you have made that initial call begin getting repair estimates. It’s a good idea to get at least three estimates. A note of caution you want to ask the contractor if they are licensed and insured. Ask for proof of paperwork too. Be sure the insurance policy is current. We have had clients hire a non-licensed contractor and then not have the repairs pass county inspection. It may cost a little bit more to work with a licensed contractor but you will save yourself a lot of frustration and anxiety in the end as your repairs will be done right and pass county inspection.
We encourage homeowners to call us with questions. If you have other homeowners insurance and you are shopping around call us for a free homeowners insurance quote. We would be happy to give you an estimate. We have three convenient locations in Southwest Florida including an insurance office in Naples, Ft. Myers and Port Charlotte. Visit our contact page with our phone numbers and addresses and reach out to us today. We look forward to answering your questions!